HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 3

From:
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Courry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:46:02 -0500
Hmmmmmm....

I like the ACD idea mentioned in another post, but if you want to do it the traditional way with a password, then here is an
example of how you could do it. However are you SURE you have a modem on ldev 20? Unless somebody slipped me a
mickey in 6.0 or 6.5 ldev  20 is always the console.

A logon nobreak no help udc with ;SYSTEM at the end when you SETCATALOG.

FUBAR
OPTION LOGON NOBREAK NOHELP
XEQ MODEMCHK.CMD.SYS
IF "!MODEMSTATUS" = "FAILED" THEN
   ECHO SECURITY ALERT!
   ECHO SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR HAS BEEN PAGED!
   BYE
ENDIF
IN MODEMCHK.CMD.SYS (A FILE SET TO "CR" FOR READ SECURITY and "ANY" FOR EXECUTE IN A GROUP CALLED
CMD.SYS WITH TIGHT SECURITY ON IT)  PUTTING THE ACTUAL CODE IN A COMMAND FILE ALLOWS YOU TO CHANGE
IT WITHOUT HAVE TO SET AND UNSET CATALOGS. HAVING MANAGER.SYS AS THE CREATOR OF THE FILE
MODEMCHK WOULD KEEP PEOPLE FROM READING IT.

SETVAR MODEMPASSWORD "NOWAY"
SETVAR STRIKES 0
IF HPLDEVIN = 20 OR HPLDEVIN = 100 THEN
   WHILE "!MODEMPASSWORD" <> "FAILED" AND "!MODEMPASSWORD" <> "SUCCESS" DO
      INPUT MODEMPASSWORD;PROMPT="SAY THE SECRET WORD AND WIN A HUNDRED DOLLARS="
      IF "!MODEMPASSWORD" <> "YOURMODEMPASSWORD" THEN
          SETVAR STRIKES !STRIKES + 1
          ECHO STRIKE !STRIKES
      ELSE
          SETVAR MODEMPASSWORD "SUCCESS"
      ENDIF
      IF STRIKES >= 3 THEN
         SETVAR MODEMPASSWORD "FAILED"
      ENDIF
   ENDWHILE
ENDIF

Forgive me if the above has any small (large?) bugs in it, I wrote this at home without benefit of testing. Mea Culpa.

Paul Courry