HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:03:47 -0600
I did not see an answer to this.

I am not aware of the existence of the card you need, but that doesn't mean it
does not exist.  I was going to suggest another way of using your old
Differential SCSI drives on your 918LX.  You could conceivably get a
Differential to SE SCSI converter box along with some good cables.  Try
www.paralan.com.  They have such gadgets.  Your setup would be:

SE controller on the 918LX connected to the SD10B converter on the SE side via
a SCSI-2 (50 Pins) to SCSI-1 cable (Centronic).  The converter will do the
Differential to SE conversion.

On the other side of the SD10B converter, you would have a SCSI-1 (Centronic)
to SCSI-3 cable (68 pins) connecting the converter to the disk drive(s).  This
will do the wide to narrow conversion for you.

You would then configure the WC drives as N drives to reflect the fact you are
using the narrow SCSI card.

Works fine, lasts a long time, at least for DLT drives.  I am not sure if MPE
will complain about seeing a WC drive when you have declared it as an N drive.
 You want MPE to use the proper driver, which in this case would be
SCSI_DISC_DM_LOGICAL_DEVICE_MANAGER  and not use the regular one
SCSI_DISK_AND_ARRAY_DM_LOGICAL_DEVICE_MANAGER.

The converter will cost around $350 and the cables could run you up to $100.
 It might be cheaper to dump the drives and get new ones, especially in these
days of increasing drive capacities and shrinking drive prices.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com