HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 14:20:37 +0100
Curt,

>How do you write a Visual Basic Program to run a COBOL program on the
>HP3000?  For example, can someone give me a code sample of a VB program that
>runs query.pub.sys on the HP3000?

While I cannot help with VisualBasic, you can find a Java example
doing exactly this at the URL below. The data between HP 3000 and PC
(or whatever Java client platform) travels across a regular telnet
connection; from the HP 3000 program point of view it's plain $STDIN
and $STDLIST.

 http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/telnet/index.html

The program on the 3000 side can be QUERY (or better QUERYNM) or any
other (custom) program that has a line mode "prompt & response" style
user interface.

I wonder, whether it would be fun to use the same approach to create a
little "MPE Desktop" GUI with pulldown menus or pushbuttons for tasks
like SHOWJOB, DISCFREE, etc. Unfortunately this little excercise would
most probably consume too much of my sparse spare time.

;-) Lars.