HP3000-L Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:39:21 -0800
Barry writes:
> How about we let the goat behind door #2 get some sleep, shall we?

Ok, I know this is cruel, but I'm going to do it anyway because Stan just
came in and made *me* figure it out.

We've all pretty much got the basic Monty question down now (except for one
or two holdouts, but we'll bankrupt them at HP World if not before), so
let's move on to a slightly more complicated version (which I suppose we
should call the Full Monty).

Three contestants, three doors.  Each contestant picks a door.

Monty opens one (guaranteed to be non-winning) door, and eliminates the
player who chose that door.

Now there are two contestants left who each have an unopened door.

Each appears to be in the same position as the contestant in the original
problem.  Each has chosen a door and seen one of the remaining doors opened.

If both are attentive HP3000-L readers, shouldn't they *both* think that
they should switch to the *other's* door in order to increase their chances
of wining from 1/3 to 2/3?

Should they trade doors or not?

G. :-)