HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:28:10 -0800
At 2:19 PM -0800 2/23/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>> Just press the F1 key (line modify) [or the F2 key (modify all) or the
>>F4 key
>> (local/remote mode)] -- and QCTerm works exactly the way you want it to.
>>
>> Not a heck of a lot of obfuscation in that.
>
>Sure is...that's *NOT* "fixed" .... it's not the correct & obvious way for it
>to work.
>I've frequently done:
>
>    newacct foo, mgr; cap=...long list but not PM...
>
>then, type:
>
>    new acct fum
>
>then, copy/paste the ", mgr;......but not PM..." text
>then add:  ,PM

I frequently do similar things, such as

   link from=obj1;to=prog1;cap=ia,ba,ph,mr,ds;rl=rl.lib;xl=xl.run

and then want to do a second link, but change the prog1 to prog2, or add
pm, or change the rl, or some other such small change. If I couldn't do
partial pastes (that is, pastes *without* an implied <return>) then I would
be forced to type the whole command line in again. Partial pastes are your
friend. Forcing a <return> is not friendly.

>...  Now, if you compare the number
>of terminal tricks/techniques I use to the ordinary user, you shouldn't
>be surprised to find an ordinary user saying "what the hell is Line Modify?".
>It doesn't *matter* how often you use it.  Or Valerie.  Or other people
>you've personally trained.
>
>In real life, it simply doesn't get used.

I guess I must be an "ordinary user". I've been programming on the HP 3000
platform since 1990 (Oh my gosh, has it been 10 years already?!?!), and
I've never even heard of "Line Modify" until today.

>   If there are two choices, choose the one that provides the most
>   flexibility.

That's why I suggested in a prior post to add a configuration option that
controls this behavior. Then you New Mexicoids could have it your way, and
Stan, I and the rest of the world can have it ours. Something like

   PartialPasteReturn = False

Doesn't that make sense?

Barry Lake                                 [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants, Inc.                  www.allegro.com
(408)252-2330