HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:28:37 EST
Ted writes:

> The user is still not free to choose the method which is natural to
long-term
>  Windows users (Ctl-Ins, Shift-Ins, etc.)  You could, with only a minor
> effort now support those as well and make at least one person a lot
happier.

Without sounding a bit recalcitrant, this is something we will never do.
QCTerm is designed to look to the future, not the past. Windows made a hard
left turn a few years ago and adopted the Macintosh key sequences -- and in
the process dropped all of its oddities, the Cntl-Ins, Shift-Ins being prime
among them. No modern Windows product uses these sequences any longer.

In QCTerm, everything is made to be as simple as it possibly can be -- and as
similar as it can be to the other common Windows-based PC programs. The
Insert key means "insert", the Delete key means "delete", Cntl+Insert means
insert a line, Cntl+Delete means delete a line, continuing the universal
theme of having the Control key be the primary (and for most people, the
sole) modifier key.

> When I'm
>  in "Transmit Control Characters to Host" mode, Ctl-V and Ctl-C aren't an
>  option, obviously, and so I *have* to use the menu <*yuck*>.

The menu is not the only choice. You can use the Alt key sequences as well
(Alt+E C for copy, Alt+E P for paste).

Wirt Atmar