HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:23:01 -0500
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I chose "+" because of the common usage in many search engines as meaning
> "I must have this".
>
> > Perhaps some form of parenthetical parameters would be more intuitive,
> > although I honestly can't stand the format of ;SELEQ (who's idea was i
>
> You mean like:   XL="FOO,[FOO2],(FOO3)"
> (warn, quiet ignore, error, in that order)
> (Why?  Because "[]" is used in many syntax diagrams to indicate an
> optional item)
>
> I prefer the simpler +/- approach :)

I don't mind simpler, but it would be inconsistent with other MPE commands
where + means "take what you already have and add to it" such as ALTUSER
MGR;CAP=+PM.  Again. it could be interpreted as "add to the linked xl list".

I personally find square brackets distasteful in a command, but I do like
that it conforms with documentation where a [] is something optional. I
would prefer this approach.

> Or...what about a longer, but clearer:
>
>     XL="FOO,FOO1:WARN,FOO2:NOWARN,FOO3:MUST"
>
> where the interpretation is:
>
>    FOO  ... as today (no warn if not found)
>    FOO1:WARN ... warn if not found
>    FOO2:NOWARN ... quietly ignore if not found (no warn)
>    FOO3:MUST   ... abort load if not found

Hmm, kind of busy to read at first glance, but I like it more as it sinks
in. Not as cryptic as a [] () approach and it leaves no doubt as to what a
+/- would mean.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio