HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:43:51 -0800
> [log in to unmask] wrote in message ...
>  Looks
> >like I have to order upgrade kits for my 7980XC's at
> work(and 7978 I have
> >at home). Does anyone have the upgrade kit part numbers and
> prices? Per HP,
> >

> I believe that the 7978 does not have an SCSI upgrade kit
> available. We're
> having to buy 7980's.

Another frequently-overlooked option is: don't update to 6.5.

Eventually, all systems have to move forward. But, at any given time, a
particular step may or may not be a good idea. Look at what the new version
offers in the way of new capability, and what it corrects in the way of
defects. If you don't have to have any of the former, and can live with all
of the latter, what you've got is fine. Especially since many of the new
capabilities and corrections are available for previous versions as patches.
And especially in cases like this, where updating requires substantially
greater investment than the usual tithe of operator time and manager hair.

"If it ain't broke..."

Steve Dirickson   WestWin Consulting
[log in to unmask]   (360) 598-6111