HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:44:47 -0700
At 10:05 PM 2/23/00 , Gavin Scott wrote:
>After typing a command and having it get an error, simply press LINE MODIFY,
>then move the cursor up and make any changes you like to the command line,
>using all of the terminal editing features (insert/delete char, etc.).  Then
>simply press the <RETURN> key.  The command is retransmitted, none of the
>keys you pressed while editing are transmitted, LINE MODIFY mode is exited,
>and magically the prompt is *not* transmitted.
>
>HP terminals *remember* which characters on each line make up the prompt
>and which were typed in response by the user, so that LINE MODIFY mode
>can work.
>
>Cool, huh?

Yep.  And "Modify All" mode works exactly the same except it doesn't turn
itself off after every return.  That's how I used to make mass config
changes (adding blocks of terminals or whatever) on MPE/V systems during a
Coolstart/Reload, etc.  Worked well in Sysdump and Sysgen too, though
Sysgen at least has a way to mass config a range of ldevs.

I've always thought of "LineModify" and "ModifyAll" modes as being "Line
Block Mode" because they let me edit the line using the local editing modes
of the terminal or termulator and when return is pressed, send the data I
typed (but not the prompt) to the host.  It's great for some things.

--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] (preferred)