HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:35:16 -0500
(The following information was scanned from the pages of the AICS Research
laboratory notebook)

Date:  February 16, 2000

Test Subject Number:  2000-047

Test Subject Name:  Jim Phillips

Purpose of Test:  Determine Efficacy of QCTerm's Diacriticals Algorithm

Notes:

Test subject arrived in Las Cruces appearing very recalcitrant and
non-co-operative.  Consultation amongst AICS staff and the test subject
resulted in a departure from the AICS laboratory for a local Mexican
restaurant.  After ingesting mass quantities of chips and salsa, red
enchiladas, and sopapillas, the test subject's demeanor was more compliant.
We felt at this point it was safe to return to the AICS laboratory and begin
the test.

The test began with a review of the AICS philosophy and QCTerm's pricing
structure.  The test procedure involved a discussion of the purpose of the
algorithm, the AICS solution, and the Microsoft solution (also known as the
Demon Spawn solution).

The purpose of the algorithm is to allow the end-user to be able to type
foreign language characters as easily as possible, regardless of the current
keyboard language selected.  It was noted that, if the end-user had already
selected a German language keyboard (for example), then the German language
characters would already be mapped to the appropriate key, and would appear
automatically when typed.  This algorithm was for the end-user who wants to
type the occasional foreign language character, word, or phrase.

The AICS solution is have the end-user type the standard character (such as
the letter "o") and then press a function key that modifies the standard
letter in a known, circular pattern (in our example, the letter "o" would
cycle through o-umlaut, o-grave, o-accent, o-tilde, etc. finally coming back
to the standard letter "o").  An option was discussed that would allow the
end-user to select a language preference in the terminal options (unrelated
to the keyoard language selection), that would control which "enhanced"
character appears first.

The DS (Demon Spawn) solution was reviewed and found sadly lacking.  In
order to type a foreign language character, the end-user is required to
navigate some pull-down menus, select a font set that has the character
needed, and select the character by either double-clicking it or
cut-and-pasting it to the application.

Results:

The test subject affirmed the AICS belief that easier is better.  The AICS
algorithm for entering diacriticals was clearly superior, in both utility
and ease-of-use.  Comments were made to the effect of "This is way cool!"
affirming the AICS belief that QCTerm will be our best selling product ever.
The test subject also affirmed the AICS contention that the best Mexican
food is found in Las Cruces.

Faithfully reported by,

Jim Phillips                             Information Systems Manager
Voice: 915-860-9933             Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Fax: 915-860-9936                 1295 Henry Brennan
Email:                                        El Paso, TX   79936

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer, my friends, my
relatives, or anybody else for that matter, including me.