HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:28:56 -0700
Wirt writes:

>It's the simplicity of the file structure below that really outlines the
>futility of XML and bodes poorly for its long-term acceptance.
>                     Window Maximized = Yes
>                        Left Position = 60
>                         Top Position = 45

Obviously, you use the right tool for the job. If the job requires only a
series of single-valued parameters, this format (which is in fact the
same as the one used by older versions of Windows before the introduction
of the dysfunctional Registry) is fine. Likewise, if the job is for a
program to communicate with itself -- certainly the case for a
configuration file -- there's no need to use a standard format. In fact,
this format is so useful that I long ago developed a set of routines for
reading it; I've placed them on our web site at
<http://www.optc.com/software/general/>. I use this file format for
holding parameters for HPe3000 programs, among other things.

The fact that XML isn't suitable for the task of holding simple private
configuration files doesn't really have anything to do with its long-term
acceptance.

-- Bruce

PS. Suppose that the QCTerm format had to start holding multi-level
structured data -- for example, a selection of color schemes. How would
the format have to be modified to accomodate this?

-- B

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.