HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:16:14 -0800
Juan Pineiro wrote:

> We are running MPE/ix 5.5 pp6.
>
> I see we have the mailx.hpbin.sys file and it seems to run okay.
>
> If I all we want to do is send an email to our internal email server (which I can currently ping) do we really need to install a product like sendmail/ix on the 3000?
>
> Is there an MPE only freeware solution?
>
> What role if any does SMTP play in this? Is this included with the operating system?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Juan C. Pineiro
> AvMed Health Plan, Miami

Hi Juan,

Mailx by itself is only capable of delivering to mailboxes on the local
machine.

In order for mailx to deliver to remote machines, you need to specify a mail
transport program with the sendmail keyword of /etc/mailx.rc.

My Sendmail/iX (http://www.bixby.org/mark/sendmailix.html) is one freeware
e-mail solution, and comes with instructions on how to configure mailx to work
with it. There are other packages out there with varying capabilities which may
or may not be compatible with mailx.

SMTP is the protocol used to transfer e-mail between two machines, and isn't
currently included by HP in any version of MPE FOS.

- Mark B.