HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 07:09:31 EST
Ferenc writes:

> Wirt wrote:environmental pollution of the word
>  > the western European nations. Hungarian has two characters in its
alphabet
>  > that aren't in ISO Latin-1 character set: the I and the L with a small,
>  False: crossed L is Polish character. I do not now crossed I.  I witout
>  dot is Turkish. I with accent is Hungarian (I').  Truly special Hungarian
>  characters are: o" and u" (o and u with _two_ accents above them (rabbit's
>  ears). The Western character sets contain only o^ and o~, u^ and u~ so yo
>  > I can see frequently Hungarian computer-typed texts with these ugly
>  > characters.

I don't know where this text that talks about "ugly" characters or
"environmental pollution" came from, but I certainly didn't write it.

To change the subject a bit, I did ask for samples of text of each national
European language to get an idea of frequency-of-use of the various accented
characters and punctuation marks. That's no longer necessary, but I do
greatly appreciate the couple of pieces of text that have already been sent
to me.

Last Friday night, it dawned on me that I already had all of that information
at my fingertips. All I needed to do was go to Altavista, set in the language
of my choice, and type some universally common word like "euro" or "disney"
and retrieve hundreds of web pages in whatever language was chosen.

Based on an analysis of those results, we set in the frequency of use of the
various characters into the national language settings. Most European typists
now will generally only have to hit the F11 once to get the character he or
she wants.

However, I also found in typing Hungarian and French and Swedish, where (some
or all) vowels have multiple accents possible, hitting the F11 multiple times
is much, much easier than seeking out separate keys. You very rapidly learn
the sequence accent, grave, caret if you're typing French, for example, where
one strike of the F11 key represents an accented vowel, two a graved vowel
and three a caretted vowel.

Wirt Atmar