HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Steve Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:19:21 -0500
I disagree that the 997 is aging technology.  I agree that 99x architecture
was released before the K-series but from what I have observed the
9x9-series has been upgraded to utilize the exact same I/O expansion
technology that is used on the 99x systems.  The 99x systems have a 1,000MB
per second backplane while the 9x9 system have a 768MB per second backplane.
The 997 system supports up to 12 of the 64-bit PA-8000 processors (180 MHz),
same processor as the 979,  while the 989 systems support up to 6 of the
64-bit PA-8200 processors (240 MHz).   The 997 supports up to 12 external
PB-IB I/O cages while the 989 supports up to 2 external PB-IB I/O cages.
Each of these I/O cages supports up to 14 add-on I/O cards.  The 997
supports up to 168 additional I/O cards in the external I/O cages while the
989 supports up to 28 I/O cards in the external I/O cages.

The bottom line is that the 997 and the 989 both provide excellent
solutions.  The decision should be based on the individual sites needs.  If
your site doesn't need to expand past 6 processors or have need for more
than 28 additional I/O slots then the 989 provides the best cost-effective
solution.

One other consideration is that the 99x systems are generally available at a
lower price on the used market than the 9x9 systems.

Steve

Steve Cole
Outer Banks Solutions, Inc.
www.outerbankssolutions.com