HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:50:35 +0100
Richard wrote...

>Perhaps one problem is that we're so proud of the 3000's heritage and it's
>forward compatibility that we often encourage coverage of it's age instead
>of it's innovation.

Hmmm. The HP 3000 -oops- HPe3000 shown at the upcoming CeBIT 2000 fair
in Hannover, Germany, will have a customer application installed that
implements a web based spare parts ordering system for weaving machines
that is built on Apache, Java applets, Java application server (based
on www.enhydra.org) and an Oracle database that's accessed via JDBC...

Except for the web browser, all of the above is running on the 3000.

When I think about the look-and-feel of the application, where you click
on an overview diagram of a machine to drill down into explosion schematics
with numbered parts and then to the parts details for putting them into the
virtual shopping cart, I really wonder if it would be a good idea to have
some 700/9x terminals next to the PC, just to make sure that people do not
overlook the fact that the stuff is running on "that ancient platform"...

Lars (won't be there, but if *you* are, make sure to stop by the booth)