HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:05:40 -0500
Bonnie,

It is common practice with user logging to start a new log cycle with each
backup by stopping logging, resetting the log file counter back to 1, and
restart logging.

Be aware that with 7x24 backup in combination with user logging you don't
want to reset your log files back to 001 and start another log cycle as it
will hinder recovery. The backup products store the current log file and
date/time stamp in the root file. Resetting the log files back to 001 will
confuse DBRECOV. While you can override the traditional DBSTORE timestamp in
DBRECOV, you cannot override the current logfile number.

Theoretically you would not stop and restart the logging cycle each day
because that would require logging off all of your users, defeating the
purpose of the online backup. But often times when initially testing the
backup product the existing procedures are left in place and the online
backup feature is employed.

BTW, this is really a problem with DBRECOV and is not a slight against any
of the products or vendors that offer full online backup capability.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio