HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:42:47 +0100
Chris wrote...
>Will this support the NT encrypted passwords (finally?)... The NT folks
>laughed at me when I asked that they disable passwords (i.e. implement the
>cleartext password hack) to allow us to use Samba and talk to production
>(NT) servers...

Good question. Samba-2 has the encrypted password stuff and I guess it
would also build on MPE/iX. However, there is still one issue open for
discussion... On Unix, you need to have a separate password respository
for Samba, as far as I understand (/etc/passwd for Unix, and some kind
of /etc/smbpasswd for Samba). This seems to be due to different and uni-
directional hashing algorithms. Would we like to see this on MPE, too?

Lars (not speaking for CSY here, just have played with the sources)