HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 2

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 15:36:21 -0800
At 10:07 PM +0000 2/9/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Does anybody know if the open software version of ssh has been ported to
>the e3k?  I'm looking for an encryption supported version of ftp,
>telnet, etc.

I asked this same question back in August of 1999. At that time nobody had
yet ported SSH to MPE. In addition, I got this response from Mark Bixby:

  >My vague impression is that this would be non-trivial, because
  >MPE POSIX doesn't support pseudo terminals the way Unix OSes do...

I would surmise from the assumed difficulty mentioned, and from the lack of
any announcement to the list since 8/99 regarding such a porting effort,
that the port has not yet been done, and that probably no one is even
working on it.

I actually downloaded SSH to my HP-UX machine with porting to MPE/iX in
mind. My first goal was simply to build it on HP-UX first to make sure that
that the build environment was good. It wasn't. There were so many problems
in the build script and default configuration that getting it to compile
even on HP-UX was going to be a major effort. So I completely gave up on
the idea of porting it to MPE/iX.   However, many out there have lots more
experience than I do in porting software to MPE. Perhaps they'd like to
give it a try???

Barry Lake                                 [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants, Inc.                  www.allegro.com
(408)252-2330