HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 2

From:
"Dr. Ferenc Nagy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Ferenc Nagy
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:17:01 +0100
The following synopsis of our migration efforts is looking for a
conference, or some place in a periodical. Please mark in the answer which
are topics abot you think I should write write more aor less details,
respectively.

                        Regards
                                F. Nagy

COMPUTERISED ACCOUNTANCY SYSTEM FOR RADIOACTIVE
MATERIAL IN HUNGARY

F. Nagy et al.

Institute of Isotope and Surface Chemistry, Hung. Acad. Sci.,
H– 1525 Budapest, POB 77, Hungary
Fax: (36-1)-395-9002

Synopsis

The old TurboImage system
Information flow
Hardware
Software tools
– on the central Hewlett-Packard 3000 GX
– at the users' IBM PC terminals
Primary modules of the system
Problems and challenges

Migration <----------------------
Hardware
Selection of optimal hardware
Migration strategy
The dependence of extraction tools on the structure and size of the database tables.
Main steps of data transfer
– Extraction of database into plain files.
– File transfer from HP to PC.
– Importing the data into Microsoft Access

Selection tools <--------------
General  selection programs based on DBMS tools
Special programs for huge data sets
Job control utilities.
Additional operations
Compression and decompression
Code conversion of national characters
Transfer of original structure information besides the data
Importing, consistency checking and reformatting the data according to the new
structure

The new Microsoft Access 7.0 system
Information flow
Hardware
Software tools
Primary modules of the new system,
– their difference from the corresponding modules of the old version.
– Ceased and new functionality.

Problems and challenges
– Logging and reliability