HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:33:26 -0500
On the old classic boxes, MOVE was far more efficient. Depending on the
complexity of the data structure, hundreds of words of object was
generated for an INITIALIZE. This was a problem on old classic boxes
where there was a tight limit on object module size. We used to code a
MOVE SPACES TO <<01-ITEM>> followed by MOVE ZERO TO <<05-ITEM 05-ITEM
05-ITEM>>. That seemed to generate the tightest code. Not a big issue
for initial access but for a structure in the deepest loop, it could
double run-time if the wrong statements were used.