HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 2

From:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:57:10 -0800
Hello,

I started a restore earlier today, and since it was going to take a while, I let it cook while I went on to other things.  After a couple of hours, I peeked in on it, and the restore has stopped about 1% complete, and there were two error messages repeated about three times:

I/O Error encountered when reading forward for block 933 on volume 1, error=18
Attempting recovery by retrying...
I/O Error encountered when reading forward for block 933 on volume 1, error=5
Attempting recovery by retrying...

I'm betting it's a bad tape, so I break out of the restore, type in ABORT, and wait.  And wait and wait and wait wait wait.  I get a little impatient, so I jump on the console and issue an ABORTIO against the device.  And I wait and wait and wait.  Getting a little more impatient, I <wince> press the eject button on the drive.  The light goes from one blinking (in use) to two blinking (eject or load).  Still waiting.  I peek into the drive, and it looks like it's just moseying along, doing something (?).  Showdev reveals that the device is unavailable (of course), owned by the session doing the restore, with 2 files open.  And I'm still waiting.  It's been over 30 minutes since I pressed the eject button.

Suggestions?  Did I really hose things up by pressing the eject button?  Am I going to have to wait another hour or so?

This is a DDS-1 drive.  The restore was using Orbit's Backup+/iX.

TIA,

Art Frank
Manager of Information Systems
OHS Foundation