HP3000-L Archives

February 2000, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:30:07 EST
Cynthia,

> We've tried configuring it as a type 18 and 22 printer and tried various
> pinouts,
>  but so far have not hit the right combination to make this printer work.
> Also, the
>  spooler drops continually when attempting to make it print. Any ideas are
> welcome.

It's been a while since I've done this using a serial connection (several
years now), so you'll want to take this with a few grains of salt, but you'll
want to set your printer type to Type 18 (non-status checking, generic serial
printer). As to the pinouts, HP added some confusion to the mix when they
changed ground on the connector from pin 7 to 5, beginning with the LaserJet
4's. I presume that they're still doing that.

You'll only need three wires going to the printer, pins 2,3, and 5. As to
which wire should be 2 (data send) and 3 (data receive), I've given up
thinking about it. I just wire them up one way or the other -- and find that
I'm right at least as often as I'm wrong.

The worst thing that happen if your guess proves to be incorrect is that you
have to desolder and reverse the two wires.

Wirt Atmar