HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

Bill Cadier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:43:02 PST
Just a few moments ago, I said...

> I put a call in to the folks that manage patches to have them
> take a look at that job. Ten minutes seems a tad long IMO.
>
> When we write patches we sometimes have to write up these 'I' jobs
> for unique circumstances. I just wrote one yesterday. So it is
> possible that this pause was accidentally left over from testing.
> The script JAVKXQ8C streams it and it then pauses 30 seconds to
> wait for its completion so it seems the 10 min. pause may be a
> left over.
>
> I will see what I can find out about this.

Found out. The long pause was put there to ensure that the file
Z00ZJAVA.INSTALL.JAVA is completely copied before the 'tobyte' in
IHFKXQ8C takes place. Various factors can influence the speed of
the copy.

So, I volunteered to fix that. Later patches in this line will
use a better method.

|Bill Cadier                         | MURPHY'S LAWS OF COMBAT:       |
|Hewlett-Packard Co.                 | Teamwork is essential, it gives|
|Commercial Systems Division         | the enemy someone else to shoot|
|Albuquerque, New Mexico             | at.                            |