HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:25:49 -0500
[Still catching up on some old mail...]

Ted Ashton wrote:

> Thus it was written in the epistle of Tracy Pierce,
> > Better yet, here's my vote to simply dispense with attachments on
> > HP3000-L altogether!
>
> Preach on :-).  If attachments have a place, it isn't this list.
> Jeff, can raven strip attachments off (preferably notifying the
> sender that it has done so)?

LISTSERV won't eliminate attachments entirely, but some months ago I
did add a new configuration option in the 1.8d release that will
strip the HTML part from mail that is sent in "multipart/mixed" MIME
format (I think that's the one) where a plaintext copy *and* an HTML
copy of the message are included as 2 separate MIME parts.  However,
if the message is exclusively HTML, or RTF, or other mess, it does
not attempt to intervene.

Somewhat similarly, in DIGEST mode, you can get digests as multipart
MIME or in the "vanilla" form by selecting the appropriate option on
the subscription options page:

     http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?SUBED1=hp3000-l&A=1

Neither version accounts for 'unusual' attachments, however.  Unless
LISTSERV is updated, that's about all I can do for now on attachments.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>