HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
John Painter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Painter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:30:02 -0500
You know, I find it difficult to defend HP on this issue too. I believe
it would be smarter to charge a premium for MPE itself, rather than the
hardware it runs on-- especially when the hardware is identical to that
which is sold for 9000s and Netservers for much less. HP made some
effort in this regard over the past two years, but the re-pricing
strategy has either stalled or been forgotten.

As Denys points out, the more these systems become alike, the more
ridiculous the higher pricing becomes. Economists will tell you that a
black market will almost certainly appear in a country that puts
excessive taxes or duties on goods that are otherwise accessible. On the
same principal, cheating on income taxes generally increases as a
country increases the rate. One should expect, then, that more folks
will choose to use "unofficial" peripherals on their 3000s as the gap in
pricing grows wider. Anyone at HP smell coffee?

John Painter
Computer Solutions, Inc.
http://www.internetcsi.com