HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:11:40 -0500
Mark Beard wrote:

> I wonder if anybody on this list knows why the following is true
> (well true for me anyway MPE/iX 5.5 PP4)
>
> In Compat. mode  COBOL.
> Program 'A' creates a process 'B'
> Process 'B' CALLS a subprogram within program 'B's USL

> Without FPMAP on the PREP the program aborts with a loader error -
>
> 'UNKNOWN PROCEDURE NAME   (LOAD ERR 41)
> No EXCEPTION phrase on CALL, error 41 on CNVB334 (COBERR 746)
> Program file: NBSERV1.PROG.RX'
>
> Suggesting that the program is not in the object, yet when I include
> FPMAP on the prep everything is cool.....

By "No EXCEPTION phrase..." and the fact that you have no unresolved
externals, I'm assuming you're doing a dynamic call like:

           CALL data-name-1 USING...
instead of CALL "SOMETHING" USING...

This will invoke a LOADPROC, which by default searches through your
SL heirarchy based on the :RUN...;LIB= specification.  Sounds like the
LOADPROC was enhanced to check for the label in the current program file
itself first if the FPMAP is available.  I don't remember this feature
specifically so I can't give a pointer, but it would explain
why the FPMAP makes a difference (assuming LOADPROC was enhanced).
Nothing is mentioned in the Intrinsics manual unless it slipped into
a communicator.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>