HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:30:09 -0800
Steve,

I don't have DDS-3, but I think that a DDS-3 drive cannot write to a 60m DDS-1 tape, but can read them.  However, I think a DDS-3 drive can read and write to a 90m DDS-1 tape.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Art Frank
Manager of Information Systems
OHS Foundation
(503) 220-8320

>>> Steve Patterson <[log in to unmask]> 01/27 7:17 AM >>>
I don't like to rant, but it's one of those days...

I tried to submit a hardware call via the HP ESC.  Logged in, selected
Hardware Call, then was presented with the option of picking Servers,
Workstations or Mass Storage.

Unfortunately, under Servers, the HP-3000 is not listed.  I sent them a note
asking for clarification.

Perhaps someone can answer the question I wished to ask:

We have a C1537A DDS-3 drive that was installed last year.  Prior to that, we
had a DDS-1 drive that came stock with our 927LX.  This morning I tried to
:STORE to an old HP-cut SUBSYS tape, which is a 60 meter DDS tape.  It was
write-enabled via the little white slider, but when the :STORE got underway,
the message:

10:41/18/LDEV#7 WRITE NOT ENABLED

appeared on the console.  Does anyone know of any limitations (undocumented)
with the C1537A and 60 meter DDS-1 DATs, especially with tapes previously cut
by HP?  (this particular tape was SUBSYS for MPE/iX 4.0).  We tried another 60
meter DDS-1 with the same results.

The HP SureStore DAT User's Guide (June 1997, Part # C1528-90909) states on
page 5-2 that "HP SureStore tape drives are backward compatible, however,
which means that a DDS-3 drive can read and write DDS-1 and DDS-2 tapes".

Any and all info greatly appreciated.

Steve Patterson                         [log in to unmask]
Halifax Port Authority                www.portofhalifax.ca
Halifax, Nova Scotia