HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:41:07 -0600
Other folks have already chimed in with excellent arguments in favor of short
plugs.  Let me add the following thought also in favor of these short plugs.

Many of the list server participants DO NOT have ample opportunities to learn
about new offerings.  It has been firmly and painfully established that only
about 100 out of the circa 1000 participants on the list are members of Interex
and thus get those magazines.  Having organized the HP3000-L luncheon at HP
World for the last 5 years, I find that only about 30-40 non-vendors on this
list come to HP World and have the opportunity to see all the new offerings.
 Being a frequent speaker and traveler to RUGs and other user venues, I can
tell you that there are lots of people on this list who do not have the
opportunity to attend those functions.  I should think that plugs, short and
succinct, would not be frowned upon by the vast majority of participants.  I
also think that by now, everyone should know how to use the delete key effec
tively.

Finally, I would also remind everyone that vendors are the most vocal and
ardent proponents of the HP 3000 at HP and everywhere else.  An example of
successful lobbying HP by (mainly but not exclusively) vendors was IMAGE/SQL.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com