HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 1

From:
Cynthia Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:27:07 -0600
One thing I did to combat that at one place I worked was to fully document what I
did and when I did it. I wrote about the typical and a few atypical scenarios that
occurred at that site. I wrote it in such simple language that a person with minimal
knowledge of the HP could figure it out from the written text. When I left there, they
moved a PC technician into the HP System Manager position. He had no formal
training on the HP (yes, they EVENTUALLY sent him to the HP System Management
class, but after about a year) and he was able to get through most of it with little help.
One of the biggest problems I've found during my career is the LACK OF good
documentation for anyone's position. It's absence just invites these "what if you get
hit by a truck?" type questions. So if you don't have such documentation, FIND the
time to write it....include every carriage return (or ENTER, if you will) and specific
details. Never assume the reader knows much...I wrote assuming the reader was
HP illiterate.  It paid off when I left, plus it gave me a great sense of accomplishment
to have done it. I wasn't rewarded monetarily for it, but I got a terrific reference out of
management there.

FWIW,

Cynthia Bridges-Fowler
MIS Operation Analyst
IMC Global, Inc. / IMC Salt, Inc.

>>> Bob Walker <[log in to unmask]> 01/05/00 10:12AM >>>
This thread brings a similar issue to mind.

There seems to be a variety of reasons that management can
come up with for moving from HP3000 to NT.
The one I have to contend with is:

'There is little expertise out there in HP3000 systems. If you got hit
by a bus, we would have a hard time hiring someone off the street
that could come in and quickly assume control of the HP3000
system and databases, therefore we want to a move to platform
where we can readily hire replacements if need be.'

If I may impose, to those who have the inclination, how would you
answer this in a reasoned manner?
Answer's like 'That's absurd!', although true, are not really useful.

Environment:
1 HP3000 - 939  100 user license. MPE 5.5 Xpress 7 + patches.
   Image/SQL and Client/Server very active.
   Apache heavily used.
   Samba.
Support:
1 - me. about 10% of my time spent on systems(updates, patches,
backups, id creation). Not much time spent, but when needed, it's
fairly complicated, that is, latest patches and revisions of everthing.
1 - backup to me. Less expertise, used to be system manager
years ago.

Location:
Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Thanks to any that can give advice.
Bob.
--=--=--
Bob Walker, Computer Centre  --  [log in to unmask]
Capilano College, North Vancouver, BC, CANADA.
------
'No one is listening until you make a mistake.'