HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:51:51 EST
Keven,

> I'm Currently using Reflection 5.1.
>  As a programmer, the big difference for me is that telnet
>  does not support/handle BREAK or XOFF/XON (control-S/control-Q)
>  to stop/start screen output.
>
>  Please tell me how to change setup if I'm wrong.

There is no way to enable Cntl+S/Cntl+Q to work in Reflection under telnet --
simply because XON/XOFF isn't supported in any of the current releases of
telnet on the HP3000.

However, the good news is that it's coming. It's in the telnet beta patches
that we have and QCTerm obviously fully supports it (although I'm not sure
that Reflection will). Because it wasn't there when Reflection was written,
WRQ went to a great deal of trouble and put in an elaborate workaround in
Reflection so that although the Cntl+S/Cntl+Q keys don't work, the PAUSE
button does. It's because of this workaround that I am suspicious that
Reflection 5.1 does not attempt to negotiate XON/XOFF flow control with the
host, but that is only a guess.

As to the BREAK key, I cannot be sure why that doesn't work. It should.
Although we also have Reflection 5.1, I no longer have telnet access to any
machine that doesn't have one of the most recent telnet beta patches on it,
so I can't see that it truly doesn't work. BREAK certainly works on all of
the beta patches. It is my strong rememberance, however, that it should in
the standard release.

Wirt Atmar