HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 07:06:58 -0600
At 05:51 PM 1/4/2000 -0500, Wirt Atmar wrote:
>Ted asks:
>
> > We are running a 979/400 with roughly 150-200 concurrent users.  Our
> >  systems people (who by the way hate the HP3000 and love NT) say the life
> >  expectancy of this machine will be 2-3 years and then have to be
> >  replaced.   Since we are moving our financials off this machine (and
> >  onto NT) I would think we would be able to keep this box running a lot
> >  longer than that.  Anyone care to comment.
>
>Nonsense.

In addition to Wirt's fine points, perhaps Ted should challenge the systems
folks to put the 150-200 concurrent users on their NT platform running
applications using Oracle and see if they have the same level of
performance.... :)
Then, during your busiest time of the day, cause a power-failure and measure
the amount of time it takes the NT platform(s) and database to recover
compared
to the HP3000.

If you step back, remove all the hype and look at these issues in
terms of cost-effectiveness (including hardware, software, maintenance and
staff: cost of ownership), stability and reliability, with a true
apples-to-applies comparison the HP3000 will generally win-out.  All too
often folks get enthralled with the latest Wall Street buz, and "keeping
up with the Jones's" that they lose sight of what may make best business
sense for their situation.

Yes, there are clear circumstances whereby moving from the HP3000 to NT
makes good sense (did I say that...).  But there are a lot more situations
whereby it doesn't and folks make the move anyway because of a slanted
analysis or mis-information.  Sometimes they become locked into an unhappy
situation and the business costs end-up being higher.  And in some cases
I've seen folks return to the HP3000, but usually they simply limp along
and declare a 'success' simply because some manager can't/won't admit that
a wrong decision was made. In these circumstances we as professionals are
doing a disservice to the business we are paid to support.

Those organizations which integrate these technologies, using the strengths
of each instead of relying on a single platform to meet their needs usually
does better in the long run.  Its orchestrating this integration and
exploiting the strengths of the various technologies which move a business
forward.

/jf
                               _\\///_
                              (' o-o ')

                          Wednesday, January 5th

           Today in 1925 - Nellie Tayloe Ross took office as governor
                           of Wyoming, 1st woman governor in U.S. history.

                             oooO  (    )
                              \_)