HP3000-L Archives

January 2000, Week 1

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:35:48 -0500
     I agree with Tom Brandt. He worked for me at the time. He left and I'm
still at Chrysler(now it's DaimlerChrysler). I was told we had the 8th
HP3000 ever built. Packard was on the board of Director's at Chrysler at
the time. It was 1973 or 1974?

     This machine came with COBOL, RJE, R-ISAM(eventially became KSAM), 2
terminals, two 40 meg removable disk drives and 256k(that's k not Meg) of
memory. A lease was based on the $250,000 price tag.

     I might not have all the details right but Cobol, RJE and KSAM were
our minimum basic requirements. The computer sale was at Cobo Hall in
Detroit where the International Auto show is still held. They only had a
HP1000 at the time which couln't meet our requirements but a HP3000 was
coming to market.

     By the way, we still have the HP3000(had about 10 upgrades since day
1). The Line Printer was taken off of maintenance last December. HP can't
get parts for it. I'm not worried though. It has never broke in 27
years(knock on wood). Oh yeah, the HP3000 helped create reports for the
senate in Washington so we could get the Government Loans. The rest is
history. It's been a great ride and HP's been a great vendor but I wish I
would have bought their stock back then.