HP3000-L July 1996, Week 5

Final update on giant poster

Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:03:14 -0400

text/plain

This is the final update on the poster before we leave, thus please print
this version out and keep it handy if you think that you might be available
to help on Monday, August 5. The poster is now finished and wrapped for safe
transport to Anaheim.

1. ATTENDANCE

Your attendance and assistance in assembling the World's Largest Poster is
not only requested, but would be greatly appreciated.

It is important to remember that although the poster project is very well
known to the citizens of this group, most people that will be attending HP
World will NOT have yet heard about it. Thus, once you arrive in Anaheim,
please mention it to as many people as you can -- and if nothing else,
mention the free food, the party, and the Guiness Book of World Records
attempt. As Tony Shepard of Harvard said, it seems that this is going to be
"the place to be" and "the thing to do" this year in Anaheim.

We need all of the volunteers that we can get, even if you can come by for
only 30 minutes or so. As to what task you'll be performing, this is
on-the-job-training for all us :-). And if you merely want to watch (or
supervise), you're more than welcome to do that too.

2. CURRENT SCHEDULE

We will meet on the field at 8:00 am, Monday, August 5 (that's 11:00 am,
physiological time for people coming from the east coast) and begin assembly
no later than 8:30 am.

The current plan is to have the poster assembled somewhere between 11:00 am
and noon. The helicopter will fly over about noon to take its pictures.

Lunch is being prepared for about 250 by the Loara High School Booster Club
(the food bill is being subsidized by the HP3000 News/Wire), as are coffee
and doughnuts earlier in the day. Anyone is welcome to come by, eat, and get
your picture taken from 500 feet up. This whole event is not supposed to be
all that serious, so be sure to wave.

Disassembly of the poster will be begun at about 2:00 pm and we will clear
the field by 4:00 pm.

3. LOCATION

The assembly site is at Loara High School, in Anaheim. The athletic director
of the high school, Marty Johnson, has been extremely gracious about the
project. In appreciation, we have prepared Marty a genuine, HP3000-generated
copy of the poster, framed in an aluminum and plastic K-Mart 24" x 36" gold
frame, that says, "MPE Users Kick Butt -- and so does Coach Johnson" (it
actually looks a lot nicer than it sounds).

To get to the high school from the Convention Center, turn left on Katella
when you exit the north side of the Convention Center and proceed four blocks
west to Euclid. Turn right (north) on Euclid and go one block. The high
school is on the next block, at the corner of Euclid and Cerritos. We will
assemble the poster on the football practice field.

I expect that the practice field is located wherever you'd normally put a
practice field at a high school. Marty did request that people park in the
parking lot and walk to the field rather than drive onto the field itself.

4. TRANSPORTATION

A 29-person bus has been chartered that should make travel back and forth
from the hotels to the site quite easy. The bus will stop at the two primary
convention hotels, the Hilton and the Marriott, and then travel to the
parking lot of the high school. The bus will run from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm (or
longer, if necessary). The roundtrip is estimated to take 20 to 30 minutes
and the bus will run continuously all day as a shuttle.

We'll try and find clearly marked departure points at the hotels -- but if we
don't, look for a white bus painted with pink confetti. The bus will be
marked with the name "Tour Connection." However, the bus should also have a
banner on it, saying, "World's Largest Poster Project" (the people at the bus
company have been accommodating enough to let us tape a long banner on the
bus with masking tape).

5. AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY

We have contracted with Charter Copters of Santa Ana, CA to provide a Bell
Jet Ranger helicopter (basically on demand, sometime around noon) to provide
a photographic platform 500 ft. above the poster.

There will room on the helicopter for three photographers. They are currently
scheduled to be a photographer from the Long Beach Press-Telegram (an HP3000
shop; many thanks to John Joerger), a camerman from HP-TV, and a photographer
from Interex (so that a photograph can be put into the Dailies at the
meeting).

The helicopter will leave from John Wayne in Irvine and fly to the Fullerton
Muncipal Airport, where the photographers will board. That's only a few miles
from the poster assembly site, so it will be just a short trip over and back.

6. COMMUNICATIONS

Commencing on August 1, the day we depart, I will have with me our cellular
phone [(505) 644-3737]. You can consider this to be the poster's phone number
until we complete the project. This number will be active for at least the
business hours, August 1 through August 5, the day of the poster's assembly.

In addition, on the day of the poster, our toll-free number will be forwarded
to the cellular number above, which we'll have at the field [almost all of
AICS will be at the field anyway, so we'll just conduct whatever business we
need to from the field :-)]. That number is (800) AICS-INC [(800) 242-7462].
This will allow you to call from any phone at no charge. However, if you
should get voice mail on the 800 number, please try the cellular number
directly.

7. FINAL STATISTICS ABOUT THE POSTER

The poster is composed of 2650 3-foot by 4.5-foot panels (approx. 36,000 sq.
ft). This will make it about 9,000 sq. ft larger than the previous world
record attempt set in May by Disney & HP.  The printing on the poster is 300
dpi, four color and was done by an ink jet printer manufactured by HP (the
HP755CM DesignJet). The image is composed of 463,000,000,000 pixels.

The poster was completely designed on an HP3000 and printed to the HP755CM
after it was connected as a simple term type 18 serial printer. The image was
downloaded to the printer 2650 times, each time with a slightly different
offset -- but because the image was put together in PostScript, download
times were only about 4 seconds at 19.2Kbaud.

The poster weighs 687 pounds.

8. MOTORCYCLE ESCORT

Unfortunately, we no longer have a motorcycle escort for our trip to
California. Terry Simpkins had mentioned that he would try to be here for our
departure and ride along with us for some or most of the way. Terry's
accident has not only caused us to lose our motorcycle escort, his injuries
have automatically promoted Terry from the status of field hand to supervisor
:-).

9. DISTRIBUTION OF PHOTOS

Chris Bartram has kindly agreed to host the digitized photos of the poster on
the 3K Associates web page. I would suspect that Adager and others will link
their web pages to Chris' web page as soon as the photographs are available.
Ideally, the photographs will be available as soon as Wednesday. We'll let
you know as soon as we can.

10. PERSONALIZED COPIES OF THE POSTER

You can stop by the Adager booth and have a personalized 24" x 36" copy of
the poster made for you. Adager has kindly agreed to host an HP755CM printer
in their booth in order to produce additional, on-site copies of the poster.

11. THANKS

Profound thanks are due to a great number of people for helping put the
poster together. The following list (in no particular order) is not
inclusive, but these people deserve a great deal of appreciation: Rene Woc,
Ken Sletten, Alfredo Rego, Shawn Gordon, Ken & Jeanette Nutsford, Bob
Lancaster, Marty Johnson, John Joerger, Chris Bartram, Ron Seybold, Dottie
Lentz, and most especially, Clint & Marilyn Godfrey and Valerie Atmar, as
well as a number of people at HP CSY who lent their moral support.

Wirt Atmar