HP3000-L Archives

April 2024, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:12:15 -0500
Dave wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that the 13th release of the HP 3000 simulator is
> now available from the HP simulators Web site:
>
>   http://simh.trailing-edge.com/hp/

Dave's SIMH lets you have your very-own Classic stack-based HP 3000 Series
58 running in emulation (or as many of them as you want!) The SIMH simulates
all the hardware needed to run original versions of MPE V. It's super fun!

As many of you know, I maintain a turnkey distribution based on Dave's HP
3000 simulator.

You can find an early release of the new Series 58 turnkey at:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1sQuu6epn15RZzWNsNAK7wGRBhrse
M4-0

Which you can have running on a Windows system in just a minute or two. You
can also build the included SIMH source for MacOS or Linux and run the
resulting executable with the turnkey disc images.

This turnkey release includes:

HP 3000 SIMH Release 13, with profile-optimized executable for Windows
systems.
MPE V/E Release 40 with final Y2K patches.
Large collection of MPE SUBSYS products selected from the HP Museum tape
collection.
The system is built on 4x 404MB HP 7933 discs, so plenty of space to play
in.
MPE patched to enable 32MB of memory on the Series 58 using Dave's
undocumented S58+ mode.
A rather large collection of HP contributed library software, games, etc.
(from the earlier Series III turnkey).
A copy of the QCTerm installer is included. (Works super with Reflection,
etc. if you have them)
SIMH emulations of the HP2645 and HP2641 terminals are included (though
APL\3000 is not yet).

More updates will be coming including new documentation, additional
features.

Feedback appreciated.

Also, for all fans of the HP 3000, we have a Discord server MPE Forever,
which is a great place to get help with the turnkey release, or any other
3000 related stuff.

Discord Invite link:

https://discord.gg/W8kXCev4nY

None of this would be possible of course without Dave's fantastic SIMH
implementation of the old Classic stack-based HP 3000 systems. And of
course, people like Dave Collins and others who managed to curate some of
the old software that ran on these machines 40 years ago.

MPE Forever!

Gavin